Electricity Market Review - 2019 in Review
31 January 2020

In 2019, Georgian power plants generated 11,865 mln. kWh of electricity. This represents a 2% decrease in total generation, compared to the previous year (in 2018, total generation was 12,149 mln. kWh) (Figure 1). The decrease in generation on a yearly basis comes from decrease in hydropower (-10%), more than offsetting the increase in thermal (+34%) and wind power generation (+0.5%).

Among the different sources of electricity, hydropower remained dominant, despite its decline in absolute and relative terms. Specifically, in 2019, hydropower (HPP) generation amounted to 8,940 mln. kWh (75% of total – used to be above 80%); wind power (WPP) generation was 85 mln. kWh (1% of total), and thermal power (TPP) generation was 2,840 mln. kWh (24% of total) (Figure 2).

Consumption of electricity in the local market was 12,774 mln. kWh. Overall, the annual increase in electricity consumption was 1% in 2019 (compared to 2018) (Figure 3). In 2019, total consumption exceeded generation by 909 mln kWh, which is approximately 7% of the total consumption and 8% of the amount generated (compared to 447 mln. kWh and 4% deficit of total generation for 2018).