July 2019 | Electricity Market Review
01 August 2019

In July 2019, Georgian power plants generated 1,055 mln. kWh of electricity (Figure 1). This represents a 16.8% decrease in total generation, compared to the previous year (in July 2018, the total generation was 1,268 mln. kWh). The decrease in generation on a yearly basis comes from the decrease in thermal (-52%) and hydro power generation (-17%), more than offsetting the increase in wind power generation (+11%).

On a monthly basis, generation decreased by 12% (in June 2019, total generation was 1,198 mln. kWh). The monthly decrease in total generation was the result of a decrease in electricity produced by thermal plants (-52% with respect to June 2019) and hydropower plants (-12% with respect to June 2019) more than offsetting an increase in wind power generations (+63% compared to June 2019).

The consumption of electricity on the local market was 1,109 mln. kWh (+1% and +4% compared to July 2018, and June 2019 respectively). In July 2019, the total consumption exceeded the total generation by 54 mln kWh which is around 5% of total generation (In contrast in July 2018 difference between total generation and consumption resulted in a surplus of 175 mln. kWh, that was 14% of the total generation for the month).